Go to Top

Malaria

Malaria Situation

In the World Malaria Report (WMR) 2016, Uganda is ranked fourth among countries with highest number of annual malaria cases, contributing about 4% of the estimated 220,500,000 global malaria cases. There is stable malaria transmission in 95% of the country, with the remaining 5% characterized as unstable or with potential for epidemics. Malaria is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the country, accounting for approximately 30-50% of outpatient visits at health facilities, 15-20% of hospital admissions, and up to 20% of all hospital deaths. Uganda is aiming at accelerating nationwide scale up of malaria control measures to achieve and sustain universal coverage of cost-effective prevention and treatment interventions. Uganda will pursue the below goals outlined in the 2014-2020 Uganda Malaria Reduction Strategic Plan (UMRSP) by 2020.
The 2014 malaria indicator survey shows that nearly 87% of children with fever accessed artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT); 62% of households had one long-lasting insecticide treated net (LLIN) for every two persons; and 69% of the population slept under an LLIN. Parasite prevalence among children under 5 years decreased from 42% in 2009 to 19% in 2014.However, these gains have been threatened by a malaria upsurge in 2015, which occurred mostly in the northern part of the country. This upsurge necessitated an urgent assessment by National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), followed by immediate and intermediate actions at the national and district levels in response to the epidemic.

The program will be implemented by two PRs: the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MoFPED) and The AIDS Support Organization (Uganda) Limited (TASO).

Global Fund Intervention

Goals

  • To reduce annual malaria deaths from 29 per 100,000 in 2013 to near zero;
  • To reduce malaria morbidity to 30 cases per 1000 population (80% reduction from 2013 levels); and
  • To reduce the malaria parasite prevalence to less than 7% (>85% reduction from the 2010 levels).

Strategies

  • Achieve and maintain protection of at least 85% of the population at risk through recommended malaria prevention measures;
  • Achieve and sustain at least 90% of malaria cases in the public and private sectors and community level to receive prompt treatment according to national guidelines;
  • Ensure that at least 85% of the population practices correct malaria prevention and management measures;
  • Make sure that the program is able to manage and coordinate multi-sectoral malaria reduction efforts at all levels;
  • Carry out timely routine reporting from all health facilities and District Health Officers on malaria program performance; and
  • Ensure that all malaria epidemic prone districts have the capacity for epidemic preparedness and response.

Download PDF

UGA-M-MOFPED_Grant Confirmation EXEC

UGA-M-MoFPED_Summary Budget_IMPP2_Nov 2017_GF

UGA-M-TASO_Summary Budget_2018-2020